PMP is a quality mark of a specialist, which is accepted in most countries of the world. PMP certificate has recently been actively demanded by Ukrainian companies.
Some project managers are specially certified in order to receive an international certificate and subsequently work in other countries. Most students who are preparing for certification go to the exam, as the certification is registered in their company’s KPI system.
Today, in most projects in which companies with foreign capital take part, a special requirement is practiced – at least two certified specialists in the project team.
PMI certification is a complex and labor intensive process. But the opportunities that Project Management Professional status opens up are definitely worth the effort.
- Global system knowledge on project management, relevant both for IT and for any field.
- The salary level is 20% higher than the market average.
- An international document confirming qualifications and expertise.
- High demand in the labor market and the opportunity to apply for positions in foreign companies.
If you are already thinking about getting a PMP certification, then it will be useful for you to know how the certification is carried out, what preparation it requires and what happens after receiving the certificate.
How to prepare for the exam?
PMP certification is carried out according to the standards of the Project Management Institute (PMI). This non-profit organization at one time combined and systematized all the knowledge that has accumulated in the field of project management, and brought out uniform standards for the profession of “Project Manager”. The results of her work are collected in PMBOK (The Project Management Body of Knowledge) – this is a general body of knowledge on project management. For some time you will have to become related to this book in order to study and disassemble it from and to.
Suppose you have the opportunity to confirm your professionalism in the field of project management according to the standard of the American Project Management Institute (PMI) or the International Project Management Association (IPMA) and become the owner of the PMP (PMI) – or CPM (IPMA) status. The certification procedure is a process of professional assessment of your experience and competence, your professional level. If you want to know more about finding a job abroad, go to layboard.
In which countries can you find work with a PMP certificate?
This certificate allows an employee to find and get a job almost anywhere in the world. This is a guarantee of the quality of your work, so any country will not mind getting a professional in their companies. So, among the states that will hire you with a PMP certificate:
– United Arab Emirates;
– Oman and many others.
What are the benefits of professional certification for a project manager?
The certificate demonstrates that your knowledge and experience meet the standard requirements for practitioners in the field of project management around the world.
A serious, rather complicated process of preparing for certification allows you to systematize your knowledge, find out that there are other ways of managing projects that are more effective than those that you follow in everyday project practice;
- You get a competitive advantage over colleagues who do not have a professional certificate;
- The certificate increases your confidence in your own knowledge and skills;
- Having a certificate makes it possible to count on a higher salary (studies show that certified project managers have a higher average salary in almost all countries). In any case, having a certificate may be a reason to discuss with management the possibility of reviewing your salary;
- The company is more likely to be willing to invest in your further professional development;
- You can establish yourself in the role of a mentor, a trainer who trains the employees of your company;
- The certificate demonstrates to your current and potential employers that you are capable of taking on projects of a high degree of complexity, i.e. confidence in your professionalism is strengthened;
- Certification is an important step in career development. The certificate can lead to more dynamic career development and career advancement.
- Having a certificate will help you achieve healthy professional ambitions. For example, if you want to lead a high-budget or company-wide project, having a certification can help you achieve that goal.
- You become more competitive in the labor market, the value of your resume increases. Employers prefer certified professionals, as this reduces their risks.
- The international recognition of the certificate will allow you to count on participation in international projects, on career development in other countries, on changing the industry in which you are employed.
- A regular recertification procedure will give you an incentive for continuous development in the field of project management.
There are a fairly large number of professionals who choose certification to confirm their own professionalism. And yet, my experience as an IPMA assessor and trainer of certification preparation courses suggests that more often professional certification according to the IPMA standard in the India is initiated and paid for by the companies themselves. What are the benefits of having certified specialists for modern companies?
Typically, companies that support certification of their employees are aware of project management best practices.
- Certified specialists base their practice on the best practices in the field of project management, which increases the efficiency of the company’s project activities;
- A team of certified specialists is guided by the same system of knowledge, owns unified tools and methods, understands project management processes in a uniform way, “speaks the same language”.
- The presence of a critical mass of certified project managers allows companies to more effectively implement and develop project management methodology, increase the level of maturity in the field of project management;
- Certified specialists often act as internal trainers of the company. Such a multiactive learning system contributes to a more effective knowledge management of the company, forms the basis for building an effective talent management system;
- The company’s management has a clear idea of who can be entrusted with a complex and responsible project;
- A company with certified project managers is more attractive to clients;
- The presence of certified PM allows the company to develop its own model of project manager competence;
- Many organizations practice certification of specialists according to different standards. This makes it possible to more flexibly choose adequate approaches to managing a variety of projects;
- The company sees the potential of the employee and encourages his further professional development. For many project-oriented companies, the presence of a certificate is an indispensable condition for the inclusion of a specialist in the personnel reserve;
- The company gets the opportunity to participate in tenders, one of the requirements of which is the presence of certified project managers. Increasingly, this circumstance is the reason for the participation of project managers in the trainings of our company (PM ART Training Center) in preparation for certification according to IPMA and PMI standards
Objective reasons to get a certificate are:
- Employer requirement. A certificate is often needed not so much by you as by your employer, especially at a tender. Yes, it does not give a 100% guarantee, but it increases the chances of offers, especially in highly competitive areas where it is difficult to stand out with something.
- Emigration. The certificate is valued in North America. But for some reason, developers, engineers with certificates are quickly snapped up for good positions in our country.
- Status, exclusivity The education system is arranged in such a way that with each step the number of people decreases: many have a higher education, even fewer – MBA, PHD. So it is with PMP certification: we are few.
- Desire to consolidate their knowledge and experience. Get acquainted with new best practices, refresh your knowledge, track current trends in the field of management, and just sort it out.
- Trying to avoid stupid interview questions. In order not to triple the educational program, show the certificate.
- Teach project management courses.