In India, people are getting aware of the impact of dental health & hygiene on the overall health of an individual and this is increasing the demand for professional dental health services in the country. And to fulfil the demand for dental services, the market of dental education in India is predicted to grow with a CAGR of 12.6% by the year 2025 from 2020. And if you are a BDS student or aspirant who’s interested in knowing how you can join this prosperous industry as a dentist then you have landed in the right place.
In this blog, we’ll further talk about the details of the BDS course and what career path you can choose after studying at BDS College in MP to become a dentist.
BDS degree- Course Overview
Bachelor of dental surgery is a professional degree course in dentistry. Students who are interested in becoming a dentist often join this undergraduate course. Additionally, at Dental College and Hospital, a BDS graduate can help people with their oral health by providing them with necessary dental treatment & suggestions to maintain dental & oral hygiene.
BDS course Highlights:
|Course Duration||5 years (Including 1 year of internship)|
|Minimum Eligibility||● Applicants must have passed the class 12th examination from an accredited board of education with a science stream.
● Applicants should have cleared the NEET-UG examination.
|Recruiting sector||Dental Clinics, Pharmaceutical companies, Hospitals, Educational Institutes, Dental Product Manufacturers, research institutes, etc|
Different Career Paths to Becoming a dentist after BDS Degree
1. Clinical Career Option- After studying at one of the top BDS colleges in MP, you can start your clinical practical after completing your internship.
● Set up a Dental clinic- One of the conventional options after studying at bds colleges in India is to set up a dental clinic. Though this career option will require huge investment but it is equally rewarding in the long run. If you are not interested in sole entrepreneurship then you can collaborate with fellow dentists and start a partnership venture.
● Join a private hospital/clinic as a dental associate- There are various prominent chains of hospitals in India such as Apollo Hospitals, Max Healthcare, Narayana Healthcare, Manipal Hospitals, etc. that require highly skilled dentists to serve their patients. And after completing your BDS degree from BDS College in MP you can either apply for dental jobs in these hospitals or can join other private clinics.
● Government jobs- There are enormous job openings available every year for BDS graduates in the Government sector. And students of BDS College in MP can apply for government exams to secure dentist jobs in government hospitals. This is considered to be one of the most popular jobs among BDS graduates as it offers high job security, a lucrative salary, and other perks.
Apart from joining government hospitals, you can also join these Government jobs-
- Army dental corps
- Indian Railway as a dentist
- Contractual dental officer jobs in Indian Navy & Air Force
● Join Corporate Companies as a Dentist- Big corporate houses and multinational companies have a clinical setup in their establishment that looks after the health & wellness of employees & workers of the organisation. And you can join these corporate companies as a dentist.
● Overseas career as a dentist- Many students after studying at bds college in MP, travel abroad to seek better career opportunities, career growth & living conditions. USA, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, Australia & Gulf countries are popular destinations to make a successful career as a dentist.
As every country has different eligibility criteria to recruit dentists, you might need to appear for certain country-specific entrance examinations to secure a dentist job in that country.
2. Higher education option- Certain students who want to further escalate their career options after studying at BDS College in MP, often pursue a Master of Dental Surgery program from a top dental college.
MDS degree offers a specialisation in various fields of dentistry such as periodontics, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, and Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge, etc. and makes students gain expertise in a particular field. And with the completion of an MDS degree, students can receive higher job positions in hospitals/clinics with lucrative salary packages.
Reasons for the popularity of Mansarovar Dental College for dental courses
- The infrastructure at MDC supports comfortable living & learning on campus. It includes the facilities such as seminar rooms, laboratories, library, lecture halls, etc.
- MDC promotes & organises research & development initiatives with outside organisations to inculcate research interest among its students.
- This dental college in Bhopal will offer you critical training opportunities during your last year of the BDS course that will help you gain practical knowledge.
- The college offers a top-notch course curriculum of BDS & MDS courses that helps students in becoming professional & highly skilled dentists.
There are approximately 26,000 seats in 300+ private & dental colleges in India. And as you have read in the blog there are several paths through which you can become a successful dentist after studying a BDS program. Furthermore, studying this course from a recognised, & well-known BDS college in MP is also crucial as they help you with a detailed understanding of dental concepts as well as helps you in getting a placement as a dentist.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do dentists do?
A healthcare professional with expertise in oral health is a dentist. They identify and treat dental, mouth, and gum-related diseases in patients.
- What is the salary of a BDS doctor in India?
BDS doctors on average earn in the salary range of 4 lakh to 8 lakh per annum in India.
- Which is the highest-paid dentist branch in India?
The oral & maxillofacial branch is the highest-paid dentistry field in India.
- Can I become a dentist without a BDS degree?
No, according to the dental council of India, it is mandatory to have a BDS degree to practice dentistry in India.
- Is the BDS syllabus tough?
In comparison to the MBBS syllabus, the BDS syllabus at BDS College in MP is easy. There are certain topics in which you might face difficulty but with a hard working attitude and a focused- study approach, you can easily complete the syllabus of a BDS program.