Ranked as one of the fastest-growing industries in the world, the Indian fashion industry is constantly growing. And according to the report, by 2025 the Indian fashion industry will reach a $115-125 dollar valuation. Students with art & creative expression often choose this industry of glitz & glamour to make a career.
If you are also looking forward to joining the fashion & Textile Design industry to become a designer then this blog will be your helping guide.
Fashion & Textile design
Fashion and textile design are all about producing a unified, polished look that can communicate sophistication. Students who enjoy drawing, making structures & shapes of garments, using a variety of colours, and creating works of art by weaving, dying, embroidering, and knitting choose to enter this field. To join this creative and competitive field you need to follow certain steps to make a successful career.
Steps to Become a Fashion & Textile Designer in India
1. Complete class 12th – To get enrol in any fashion & textile design course you need to first complete your class 12th education.
2. Pursue a design course- The next step is to acquire professional education & training from the top fashion design colleges in Bangalore. You can pursue a diploma, undergraduate or Postgraduate course in this field.
● Diploma Course- A diploma in fashion design & fashion product management is a one-year professional course. Students who have cleared the class 12th examination can opt for this course. This course will prepare the students with the skills & knowledge in retail management, fashion design & fashion industry.
This course is suitable for students who want to learn significant skills in a short period. Once you complete this program, you can choose to become a Fashion illustrator, Fashion lawyer Quality Assurance Manager, Fashion columnist, Freelancer, etc.
● Undergraduate Course- You can also pursue a bachelor of fashion design if you want to gain an understanding of the fashion industry as well as various areas of creativity, sustainability, trend generation, and fashion sensitivity.
This course also imparts entrepreneurship abilities among students. Once you complete this program, you are ready to become a Fashion Designer, Personal Stylist, Fashion Consultant, Costume Designer, Trend Forecaster, Fashion Stylist, etc.
● Postgraduate Course- Students who wish to further enhance their career opportunities in the fashion industry & to make a successful national & international career can learn business management & fashion design through MBA / PG fashion designing.
After completion of this program, students can become Fashion Designers, Costume Designers, Technical designers, fashion brand managers, category managers, fashion product managers, visual merchandisers, Fashion Coordinators, etc.
Course highlights of fashion & textile design courses at LISAA School of Design
|Course Name||Diploma in Fashion design||Bachelor of Fashion Design||MBA/PG in fashion design|
|Course Duration||1 year||3 years||2 years|
|Eligibility & admission process||10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks from a recognised board of education.||● 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks from a recognised board of education.
● LISAA CAT entrance exam & personal interview round
|● Bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks from a recognised University.
● LISAA CAT entrance exam & personal interview round
3. Join an internship- Getting first-hand job experience is very helpful in learning the practical aspects of designing industry. Additionally, it helps students to find relevant job positions in the market. Top fashion & Textile Design courses include internships as part of their course curriculum.
4. Make a Portfolio- For a design student, it is very important to develop a portfolio in physical or digital form. Many fashion & textile design students start building their portfolios right from their college days. A portfolio includes sketches, prototypes, and collections of a student’s work. Portfolio work as a representative of a student’s work, talent, potential, and style in front of recruiters.
5. Establish a Network- To stay updated with the latest fashion trends and to avail of career benefits through professional relationships, students should not shy away from establishing a professional network. This network can be established by attending workshops, seminars, fashion shows, joining internships, etc.
6. Start your career- After following all the above steps, a fashion & Textile Design student is ready to kickstart their career as a fashion designer or related job positions in the fashion, textile & merchandise designing industry.
Skills required to become a fashion & textile designer
Having a fashion & textile degree & knowledge will not help you excel in this field. It is important to have both creative and technical skills to succeed in the fashion industry. Some of the top required skills are as follows-
- Drawing skills
- Excellent sewing skills
- In-depth knowledge of fabric
- Business Communication
- Business acumen
- Flexibility & Adaptability
- Knowledge of fashion trends
- Creativity & Proactivity
- Time Management
- Computer-aided fashion design
- Attention to details
Reasons why LISAA School of Design is the best design school in India?
- International student exchange programs.
- It belongs to the renowned LISAA School of Design-France.
- LISAA is one of the design institutes in Bangalore that offers an international-level course curriculum of Fashion Design courses.
- 100% placement.
- Scholarship & educational loan facility.
- Practical exposure through workshops, seminars, and internships.
We hope this blog helped you find suitable courses and ways through which you can become a successful fashion & textile designer. Furthermore, you can start your career by joining designing firms, textile companies, freelancing, or starting your own label.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is fashion design easy?
No, fashion designing is a challenging & competitive industry, and to sustain in this industry you need to have a professional degree, creative designing skills and also need to be updated with the latest changes happening in the industry.
- What is the salary of a fashion designer in India?
According to PayScale, the average salary earned by a fashion designer in India is INR 3,87,990
- What is the course fee for the Bachelor of fashion design course at LISAA?
The total tuition fee for the 3 years of the Bachelor of fashion design course at LISAA is 7.5 Lakhs.
- Which degree do I need to be a fashion designer?
There are various courses available in the field of fashion design. Based on your career goal you can choose among diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate courses.